Thursday, July 29, 2010
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
His name is Isaiah Mustafa and can you believe that he was actually tending bar -- making gin & tonics for tips -- before hitting it big with this commercial:
Ha! I laugh every time I see that video; and even though my man doesn't find it funny, there are plenty of others who do. The commercial has garnered more than 15 million views on YouTube (as of July 23, 2010).
But just who is the so-called "Man Your Man Could Smell Like?"
Mustafa is a retired NFL wide receiver who had stints with the Seattle Seahawks and the Tennessee Titans in the early 2000s before getting into acting.
He must have not managed his money right because People magazine reports that Mustafa was working as a bartender before hitting it big when his Old Spice commercial debuted during the Super Bowl.
Since then, he's undoubtedly the most popular guy in the deodorant aisle, making the inexpensive line of men's antiperspirant cool again.
P.S. -- Be sure to log on next week when I highlight Anna Kournikova and her visit with the Washington Kastles. Below: The Kastles Mascot (Photo credit: Tom Manning/www.tommanning.photoshelter.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Peach-and-Toasted Pecan Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste*
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped peaches
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and whipping cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
2. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla bean paste. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, cook peaches and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes. Coarsely mash, and let cool 30 minutes. Stir peach mixture into cooled cream mixture.
4. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
5. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; add pecans, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 9 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Remove from heat, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. kosher salt. Cool completely (about 30 minutes).
6. Pour chilled cream mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and time may vary.) Before transferring ice cream to an airtight container for further freezing, stir in pecan mixture.
*Vanilla extract may be substituted
Monday, July 19, 2010
CELEBRITY DOPPELGANGER: DC ON HEElS FAN ALEX DOMINSKA
Let's watch Alex morph into her number one look alike Adriana Karembeu a Slovak actress and fashion model. Karembeu modeled for Victoria's Secret here in the States.
Friday, July 16, 2010
HEEL OF THE WEEK: