Saturday, May 1, 2010

Deal or No Deal? Uncle Bill's Potatoes Del Riego

Potatoes Del Riego, $8


To you, it may look like a heart attack on a plate. But for me, it was breakfast!

Uncle Bill's Pancake House is my favorite neighborhood dive and I make it a point to go every time I go back to my hometown in Southern California.

While I usually get pancakes because (1) they are delicious, (2) they are reasonably priced and (3) that's what they're famous for, on this visit I decided to change it up when I saw everybody eating this mountain of cheese, potatoes, bacon and avocados instead of the house special.

But is a dish of potatoes and cheese, and a couple of slices of avocado, really worth almost $10 bucks?

Here are some details to help you decide if this a deal or no deal:

Menu Item: Potatoes Del Riego

Price: $8

Restaurant: Uncle Bill's Pancake House

Cuisine: Traditional American Fare

Neighborhood: Manhattan Beach, Calif./Manhattan Beach Pier

What the menu tells you you'll get: "Hash browns sauteed with crumbled bacon and melted cheese, topped with sour cream. Add in bell peppers, onions and avocado. For those with a BIGGER appetite"

What I actually got: nearly of pound of diced potatoes, crumbled bacon, cheddar cheese, sour cream, bell peppers, onions and avocado slices piled high into a stroganoff-like dish.


So what's your opinion: Deal or no deal? Leave your thoughts in the comments section.


--Markette

No comments:

Post a Comment